Episode 29: Plant, Nurture, Grow, Pollinate: How Dana & NJ Grow Their Businesses [Podcast]
How Dana & NJ grow their businesses. In this episode of the Boss Mom podcast, Dana and NJ chat about how their businesses have evolved over time and the 4 things they’ve done to help with that growth. Let’s dive right in.
Listen to the podcast:
Subscribe to the Boss Mom podcast in iTunes:
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why NJ describes herself as an Internetter
- NJ’s story of becoming a Virtual Assistant, why she now calls herself more than a VA now and how her role at Boss Mom has morphed.
- Why working backwards through your goals is a great process.
- Why we should get over the fear of starting something new and why faking it till we make it is the wrong mindset.
- The ONE THING that will for sure be on the agenda at the Boss Mom retreat.
- Dana’s business journey and how she’s grown her business.
- Why you need look beyond just what you’re passionate about when you’re starting a business.
- What happened when Dana stopped struggling with maintaining multiple brands.
- Why we can’t fall in love with the ideal of our ideal client if we want to grow our businesses.
Recommended links and resources:
- NJ’s blog A Cookie Before Dinner and her blog post about Depends
- Growing your team Boss Mom podcast episode
- Jenn Mann’s podcast episode
- Boss Mom’s Trello Training
Can I quote you on that?
- There is something that I have to give to the world that only I can give. And I HAVE TO do it, or I’m going to DIE. -NJ
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed, our number one recommendation is to watch The Notebook and cry. Dana & NJ
- To help someone, you just have to be a few steps ahead of them. You don’t have to be the expert voice. -Dana
- If you want to make something happen, you have to be the one to make it happen. Take the leap and hope that you’ll fly as your going out of the plane. – NJ
- I grew my business by taking the skills I’ve learned along the way and explored new ways to leverage them. – NJ
- For everyone out there thinking of pivoting your business, it can be done. I did it. You can too. – Dana
- In my first business, it was something that I was passionate about but I wasn’t using my gifts. – Dana
- In order to grow, you need to look at what you’re passionate about and marry it with what you’re good at. That’s the sweet spot. – Dana
- There is no possible way that I’d be where I’m at in my business if I didn’t have my team. I can’t grow without my team. – Dana
- If you have the choice between buying a course and hiring someone to help you run your business. Hire them first. They’re going free up your time and help you make more money. – Dana
- When you’re looking to grow, you have to get to a point where you can hand things off. – Dana
- One of the biggest goals of our group coaching program is to figure out a way to grow without adding more to your plate. – Dana
- Don’t fall in love with the ideal of your ideal client. Fall in love with who your client actually is and meet their needs. – NJ
Connect with Dana & NJ
Applications for the Boss Mom Academy are now open. Head here to apply.
We love hearing from you guys! If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at email@example.com
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.