Nurture Your Business: The Death of the Newsletter (Why you should stop, and what you should do instead)
The newsletter is no longer effective, and business owners should start exploring different options. What could you do in place of sending a newsletter? What do you need to keep in mind as you move forward with new types of communication? On this episode, I share why you need to focus on the human aspect of your approach.
You need to understand the human beings in your audience. What do they want? -Dana Malstaff
3 Things We Learned From This Episode
- If you send your audience the same thing at the same time every week, people will switch off. Be careful not to be too consistent.
- Stop targeting demographics. Think about who your audience is and how your content can exist in their lives.
- Rationality is unrealistic. As much as we’d like to think business is business, as long as people are involved, it can never be completely rational.
No matter how foolproof regular communication might seem, there are significant drawbacks. While algorithms reward consistency, if you’re sending out the same communication at the same time each week, you’re not going to convert an audience into loyal customers. You’ll be at risk of becoming background noise detached from your fanbase. The newsletter is dead: it’s time to start looking at real people.
Welcome To Your New Business Support System
A place where you get decision support, training, and community when you need it most.
Introducing the Boss Mom Vault Membership site.
This is the membership site that will help you build a stronger business, get more clients, and grow your brand.
Try it out for 7 days for just a $1
Then pay $97 a month with no commitment or risk.
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at email@example.com. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.