Episode 9: Overcoming Life’s Hardships Without Losing Hope for a Better Tomorrow w/Bryan Falchuk
Loving ourselves, finding the will to change, and chasing our goals can all be achieved if taken step by step. How do we find the will to change when we don’t love ourselves enough to believe we can do it? Why shouldn’t we dwell on the past or make predictions about the future? And why does everyone around us seem to be so negative?
In this episode, Bryan Falchuk talks about how he fought obesity and disease in his family while finding the power to be a good father and a supportive husband despite the hardships.
You can’t move your life forward if you don’t think you deserve it and are capable of it. -Bryan Falchuk
Things We Learned From This Episode
1. Without your “big why”, you won’t make a big change (08:20:09:40)
Finding your “big why” is not always about your desires and needs. Sometimes it’s about helping others. Even if you are the type who puts others first, you need to be a healthy human being both physically and mentally in order to be effective for others.
2. The dangers of being trapped in the past and being fearful of the future (15:13-17:00)
Traumatic experiences can trap you between the pain and loss of yesterday and the fear that everything will repeat itself again tomorrow. Since you can’t predict the future, there’s no reason to play a pessimistic scenario in your head, as it might never happen. You’ll end up wasting your energy on something that only happened in your imagination.
3. Society rewards negativity (17:40-19:00)
Many people refuse compliments and spend their time talking only about how bad their bosses are and how hard they work without being rewarded. Negativity is part of society and we spend too much time focusing on what’s going wrong with our lives.
The building blocks of an accomplished life are finding your true motivation, setting meaningful goals, and loving yourself. You have to ask the right questions about why you feel the way you feel about yourself, what would motivate you to do more, and what realistic goals make you excited. Your first answers will probably be wrong, but they will give you a direction. It takes time and a lot of introspection to find out the root of your suffering as well as what you can change to make you happy.
Bryan Falchuk is a best-selling author and life coach. He has been featured in publications like Inc Magazine, Chicago times, and LA Times, and he has been invited to share his story on over 100 radio shows and podcasts. His first book, Do a Day, has received several 5 stars ratings from authoritative publications and won the Literary Titan’s Silver prize. Bryan is also the host of Do a Day podcast and can be reached at http://www.bryanfalchuk.com/#contact.
- Strengthen your marriage — How can you juggle all the activities of a family and still find time for deep connection, love and intimacy?
- Master your emotions — How can you keep your cool, minimize anger and lead with confidence?
- Find balance — How can you succeed in business and at home?
- Attain optimal health — Raising kids takes massive energy, so what are the strategies for creating peak physical, emotional and spiritual health?
- Communicate effectively — How do you know when to listen and when to speak up and lead?
If you’re ready to level up your dad game, let’s get right to it: https://frontrowdads.com/start-here/
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at email@example.com. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.