Episode 8: Treating Your Business like a Living Organism w/ Jon Berghoff
For a long time, companies were seen as machines that could be tweaked to improve their performance. However, this approach has failed to take the human element into consideration. How can we see a company as a living organism instead of a machine? Why is personal development so important? And how can we help a low-performing team grow?
In this episode Jon Berghoff, the CEO of Flourishing Leadership Institute, speaks about how we can make our employees happier and more productive.
The thing you miss when we treat everything like a machine is the humanity. -Jon Berghoff
Things We Learned From This Episode
1. Personal development is the key to business success (03:36-05:50)
Our income will never exceed our personal development. The more we work on ourselves, the higher the chances of success. Life doesn’t get easier, but our coping skills can get better.
2. Think of your business as a living organism (13:01-15:00)
The people are the most important element of any business. Think of yours as a living organism where each part is connected and dependent on other parts.
3. Teach your team everything you know (10:00-12:30 )
We are often impatient when it comes to reaching our goals, and sometimes we can feel slowed down by our own team. Still, in the long-term, it’s harder to do everything by yourself. Make sacrifices now and invest your time in teaching your team everything you know. It might take longer, but you won’t have to do all the work yourself in the future.
It’s important for us to embrace the human element of our businesses. Investing in our team’s development can have significant returns. It’s hard to grow if there are only a few people aware of how the system works. Plus, our employees want to feel productive and valuable to the company. And the best thing we can do for ourselves and them is to share our knowledge.
Jon Berghoff is the co-founder of Flourishing Leadership Institute and the executive educator at Weatherhead School of Management. He previously worked as a national sales manager at Vitamix, where he had massive success, and now he uses his knowledge to teach others to become accomplished by holding the Best Year Ever events.
If you have any questions, you can contact him at email@example.com
- Strengthen your marriage — How can you juggle all the activities of a family and still find time for deep connection, love and intimacy?
- Master your emotions — How can you keep your cool, minimize anger and lead with confidence?
- Find balance — How can you succeed in business and at home?
- Attain optimal health — Raising kids takes massive energy, so what are the strategies for creating peak physical, emotional and spiritual health?
- Communicate effectively — How do you know when to listen and when to speak up and lead?