EPISODE 007: Finding And Living With Passion with Kelsey Murphy [Podcast]
We are so excited about today’s podcast guest, Kelsey Murphy.
Kelsey is a certified Career & Life Coach, and the founder of Whiskey & Work, a global community of women created to inform and inspire while injecting a little bit of purpose, adventure and humor along the way. Previous Advertising Director for Nintendo and Elizabeth Arden, turned career coach and personal development workshop facilitator – Kelsey specializes in career transition, relationship communication, conflict resolution and is certified through the International Coaching Federation in personal & business coaching. She has been featured as an expert, speaker, and writer for Forbes’ top ranked career site, The Daily Muse, Living Healthy Magazine, SheKnows, and UCSD Rady School of Management. On her other business card it might say snowboarder, eater, dreamer and fresh-air-addict.
Kelsey and Dana are friends and collaborators in real life, and we’re pleased as punch to welcome her today!
Listen to the audio:
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How Kelsey made the transition from working full time to working for herself by being brave in the small moments.
- Kelsey talk about her breaking point and the decision to pursue her passion.
- How Kelsey found her passion and how her husband helped her.
- The value of freedom and flexibility in work and life and how Kelsy is positioning her life and business for motherhood.
- Kelsey’s unconventional vacation and travel style.
- Why Dana thinks Kelsey should wear a ninja outfit and about Kelsey’s 30 day passion challenge.
- How passion and curiosity go hand in hand.
- The artists and entrepreneurs that inspired Kelsey’s business
Can I quote you on that?
One night, after a long draining day in the office and a few too many tears, I just decided that I had to listen to my gut, and find the courage to go after what I really wanted.
I had no idea what the next step was, but I found very small moments in my day and week and month to really start listening to what I really wanted to do and exploring it. It really was a journey of exploration. Before I knew it, those small moments started to gain momentum and turn into really big ones.
Be brave, have courage in the small moments. That is going to make a difference. It wasn’t these big giant moments, it was small small moments of courage.
You can’t just find your passion, it’s not like a random needle in a haystack. It is about deciding you want to be more passionate about life. PERIOD. You want to laugh more, you want to feel more, you want to get lost in something more. You have to decide you want to go out and create it. You have to discover and create it and the best way to do that is by dedicating a tiny bit of time a day to really focus on something you think you’ll love.
Before you can go out and find your passion, you first need to go out and find your curiosity and live a bit more curiously.
Its not always about reaching a goal, its often about doing something you’ve always wanted to do or be someone you’ve always wanted to be.
Resources mentioned (affiliate links present):
Connect with Kelsey:
- Kelsey’s website.
- Kelsey on Periscope: @KelseyMurphy
- Whiskey And Work:, a free community for women who wanting to work to balance their life in a meaningful way.
- Align Workshop: It’s a time for likeminded women, with more passion than time to discuss some of the most important issues that often times get swept under our proverbial rug. Issues that can seem unrelated (jobs, love, life) but are actually all linked by how we view ourselves, make decisions, communicate with one another and most importantly – evaluate and interpret life’s realities, big and small. (copy source from Kelsey’s website).
What emotion do you want to feel more of? Share with us on instagram by commenting @danamalstaff
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.