EPISODE 006: The Value Of A Family Mission Plan with NJ Rongner [PODCAST]
This episode of the Boss Mom Podcast features NJ Rongner. NJ is part of the Boss Mom team and also works as a blogger and freelance writer. She’s super intentional about carving out family time and making her minutes matter.
Listen to the audio…
In this episode you’ll hear:
- The reason why NJ made a family mission statement and how she uses it.
- How NJ’s family mission statement convicts her everyday and helps her become a better mom.
- Why Dana doesn’t keep her work email on her phone.
- Why saying no really means saying yes.
- What happened when NJ said no to her someone who wasn’t an ideal client and industry.
- What happens when you switch the word have to with the word get to.
- The rhythm NJ’s family follows based on the different seasons and why it works for them.
Three things NJ’s loving:
- Dino’s Pizza joint- a place that has both cheese pizza (for the kids) and chicken tikka masala.
- The This Is My Fave community on Instagram. Instagram link here. Email sign up here.
- New England in the fall.
Can I quote you on that?
“When you’ve got a million things going on, a family mission statement will help you make quick decisions.”
“My work time is my work time and my family time is my family time.”
“My blanket decision for everything is no. Straight off the board, no. It’s so much easier to change a no into a yes than a yes into a no.”
“When you are really careful with your ideal client and you turn down the ones who aren’t your ideal client, the right ones will come as long as you’re putting out the right product for your ideal client.”
“I want my kids to live in that sweet spot where their passions and talent intersect. And the only way I know how to make that happen is to model it myself.”
“If I want my kid to live a life where they’re passionate about their work, I have to find my passion for work and live it.”
“As boss moms, it is really important to think about the things that make us happy and do them. Because, when we have our feet planted firmly in both worlds, there are a million demands coming at us from all the fronts. So make time and space that’s just for you. When you take a little time for self care, you’ll carry it over and will be able to be a better boss and a better mom.
“It’s okay that something that worked for you for a season doesn’t work for you anymore because you’ve grown and changed into a new season.”
- On Work Life Balance and the Family Mission Statement where NJ expands upon the idea of the family mission statement and has five questions to help you craft your own.
- Expand Your Reach podcast where Dana & NJ chat about social media and life.
Connect with NJ:
The next time you say no, what are you actually saying yes to?
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.