Episode 362: Nurture Your Business: How to Focus and Stop Getting Pulled In Too Many Directions
Staying focused is hard, especially when we start a business and have kids running around. Is focus something that can be maintained consistently? Why are we more focused on certain parts of the day or certain days of the week, and how can we leverage this? What actions can we take in our business to generate more income using the power of focus?
In this episode, I talk about how to stop getting pulled in so many directions and focus on what’s important for you and your business!
There is a cycle to our ability to stay focused. -Dana Malstaff
3 Things We Learned From This Episode
- Focus is cyclical. As a consequence, we shouldn’t blame ourselves for not being able to work at 100% all the time, because nobody can give their best nonstop. After a while, our focus and attention wear off.
- Because focus comes and goes, we should find out the pattern. What parts of the day are we more likely to stay focused? What days of the week are we more productive?
- Once we find out the answers to these questions, we can reschedule the work that needs the most focus on the days we do tend to be more focused. This tactic not only helps us get better at what we already do, but it also forces us to push unimportant tasks to the side.
Our business requires focus, but we can’t stay focused if we’re trying to do too many things at once. There are many things that could help our business grow, but we have to limit our options if we want to perfect what we’re currently doing.
When we’re laser-focused on one thing, that endpoint can generate more income than spreading our focus out across several areas.
Gusto is the best payroll system for your small business. If you have contractors or employees, Gusto can help you with 1099 forms, payroll and much more! Find out why 60,000+ companies have chosen Gusto.
And yes, that Virtual Assistant, designer, project manager, and business coach all count when it comes to handing out 1099’s so don’t try to do it all yourself, let Gusto help.
Sign up today and start your FREE 3-month trial!
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.