Episode 347: Nurture Your Business: When to Coach, Support, or Stand Back in Business & Life
We love solving problems, but what happens when our clients need something else from us? Perhaps support or just someone who can listen to their problems? How can we identify ways to better serve our clients? When should we give advice and when should we just listen as a friend?
In this episode, I talk about when we’re needed as coaches and when we should just sit back and acknowledge our client’s issues.
The answer is not always to solve the problem. Sometimes, the answer is to listen. -Dana Malstaff
3 Things We Learned From This Episode
- As business owners, the first instinct we have is to identify the problem, diagnose the root of it, and deliver the solution. However, because we run a business, we need to stop solving problems for free. We should only give a free diagnosis.
- At times, our clients aren’t necessarily looking for solutions to their problem. They just want someone to listen to them and acknowledge how hard the whole process is.
- Many of us become frustrated when we don’t have people like us to engage with. This could happen to our clients as well. Maybe they need someone in their lives who they can vent to about their journey.
How do we know if we’re helpful when our clients come to us? How do we identify if they need a solution or just someone who listens and supports them? One of the indicators of what clients need is how open they are to the idea of taking action. For example, consider a situation where we inform a client how to solve their problem but they ignore it. If they begin to vent, it’s probably a sign that they need our support, not business advice.
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at email@example.com. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.