Episode 20: Igniting the #BoycottTheHustle Movement with Lara McCulloch [PODCAST]
Lara McCulloch is, in two words, a shift disturber. She’s on a mission to change women entrepreneurs from overworked and overwhelmed into free and fulfilled.
This spark was lit in her early 20s when her addiction to the hustle first began. For ten long years, as a Brand Consultant for multinational corporations, she spent her days and nights sifting through knee deep piles of client briefs, hopping on and off of planes, forgetting to eat because she was too busy to feel hunger and multi-tasking like an expert 5-pin, one handed juggler.
And the payoff?
Sweaty, dirty and sore, she had clambered up the corporate ladder, shattered the glass ceiling and was perched precariously on top. Only to realize she was the unhappiest she’d ever been in her life.
With this lesson, she started her own award-winning consulting company. One that is run off of part time hours, generates lucrative and consistent cashflow, has launched a global speaking career and requires absolutely no investment in marketing.
She is now the antithesis of hustle. She’s living the lifestyle she wants AND can actually enjoy it.
Lara has created the Start Some Shift Academy to help women entrepreneurs learn how to build their own lifestyle businesses and once and for all boycott the hustle.
In this episode of the Boss Mom Podcast, Lara and Dana chat about her drive to ditch the hustle and her retainer based business model. They also talk about traveling with kids, priorities, and why Lara isn’t currently reading any books. Let’s drive right in.
Listen to the podcast:
Subscribe to the Boss Mom podcast in iTunes:
On this episode you’ll hear about:
- How burning out in her corporate life spurred Lara on to become an entrepreneur.
- How a conversation with Lara’s grandfather changed her life and encouraged her business.
- The Anti Hustle Movement and what it means to share it with the world.
- The fundamental issue Lara has with hustle.
- The benefits of working on a retainer model vs a traditional hourly rate.
- The unconventional ways Lara finds her ideal clients.
- Public speaking, fear and getting over it.
- Lara’s new workshop and why she’s launching it.
- How to ask the right questions to make sure you’re finding the people to work with
- How Lara deals with overwhelm (hint… she doesn’t let it happen and her method is genius).
- Why Lara travels without her child right now.
Recommended links and resources:
Get Lara’s Anti Hustle Guide that teaches you how to Earn More, Work Less, & Live the Life You Love!
Can I quote you on that?
- Even though I came from a long line of entrepreneurs, I never really thought of myself as one. – Lara
- I’m able to be a present and happy parent because of the business I created. – Lara
- You’ve got to be actionable to get stuff done. – Dana
- I lived the hustle, which is why the anti hustle movement is so important to me. – Lara
- I like working smarter than I like working harder. – Lara
- I am much better at what I do when I slow down and think about my business smartly. – Lara
- Work through your fear, and you’ll get through it. – Lara
- I built a business that affords me the ability to follow my passions. Actually, it encourages me to do that. – Lara
- When I build a business model where I’m able to pick and choose my clients, I’m in the drivers seat to chose my clients instead of focusing on sell, sell, sell.
- Switch the mindset from selling to choosing your clients. – Dana
- Overwhelm has 100% to do with perspective. I give myself 100% permission to let go of things that aren’t a priority. -Lara
- Don’t feel guilty about letting things go that aren’t a priority. -Lara
- Focus on what is important to you and let the rest go. – Lara
- Everyone in my life has something about them that I admire greatly. I’m always looking up to (and learning from) them. -Lara
- My son just turned 3. I’m pretty sure he’s a comedian trapped in a toddler’s body. – Lara
Connect with Dana:
Connect with Lara:
Start Some Shift Academy: launching soon. Get Lara’s Anti Hustle Guide now and you will get VIP notifications about the Academy before everyone else