Episode 19: The Power of Experiences in Marketing w/Michael Stelzner
In a world that’s become so hyper-virtual, people still want a face-to-face, in-real-life experience that inspires them and gives them memorable moments. How did Michael Stelzner lean into this and build social media’s most well-known conference? Why is it so important to focus on doing less things, excellently, over more things done moderately? How do we balance the love and passion we have for our businesses with being there for our kids?
On this episode, Social Media Examiner and Social Media Marketing World founder, Michael shares on his Boss Dad journey.
If you’re doing too many things, you’ll accomplish nothing. If you do a few things with excellence, you can accomplish more than you could ever imagine. -Michael Stelzner
Things We Learned From This Episode
- How the internet revolutionized marketing (05:59 – 08:02)Before the internet, marketing was about physical things you mail to people. It was all about packaging physical products like brochures. For a brand to reach the masses, they had to put out costly ads in magazines and publications. The internet completely changed this and even replaced some industries.
- Balancing time with our kids and our passion for our businesses (10:30 -11:16)A lot of entrepreneurial dads weren’t there during the formative years for their kids. Even when they are there, they sometimes misplace the love and put more into the business than the children. It’s important to find a way to keep the love we have for our children and our business in balance so our kids don’t get only bits and pieces of us.
- Cultivating entrepreneurialism in our children (16:14-16:29)As our kids get older and take on different hobbies and interests along the way, we have to let them discover who they want to be and just support them.
In our businesses, we are the tip of the spear. That means as we move through the air we have to observe, learn, and make sure we land in the right place. Everything we do has to have a strategy and a purpose, even if it means doing less and cutting things down to make what we have excellent.
Michael Stelzner is the founder of Social Media Examiner, author of the books Launch and Writing White Papers, and the man behind Social Media Marketing World–the industry’s largest conference. He’s also host of the Social Media Marketing podcast, founder of the Social Media Marketing Society, and the central character in The Journey, an episodic documentary. For more information go to https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com and for the podcast go to https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/shows/.
To watch the show, go to http://journey.show (Michael suggests that you start at s02e02).
To register for the 2019 Social Media Marketing World, go to https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/smmworld/register/.
- Strengthen your marriage — How can you juggle all the activities of a family and still find time for deep connection, love and intimacy?
- Master your emotions — How can you keep your cool, minimize anger and lead with confidence?
- Find balance — How can you succeed in business and at home?
- Attain optimal health — Raising kids takes massive energy, so what are the strategies for creating peak physical, emotional and spiritual health?
- Communicate effectively — How do you know when to listen and when to speak up and lead?
If you’re ready to level up your dad game, let’s get right to it: https://frontrowdads.com/start-here/
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at email@example.com. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.