Episode 12: Jim Sheils on Creating Balance with Your Business & Making Time for the People You Love
Being an entrepreneur requires sacrifice, and we may often end up sacrificing the time spent with our families as a result. How can we be both successful and intentional about how we spend time with our spouses and kids? What are the three golden rules for spending quality time with our kids?
In this episode, Jim Sheil talks about how difficult it is for business people to find work-life balance and what can be done about it.
Rhythimize your life around highest priorities and the people of most importance in your life.
Things We Learned From This Episode
- Create a rhythm that serves your highest priorities (09:50-11:00)
If we find it ridiculous to ignore one of our biggest clients, why do we stop nurturing the relationships we have with our family? Aren’t the people we love even more important to us than our clients? We need to create rhythms around our highest priorities and the people who we care about.
- Spend time one-on-one with the people you love (18:50 -20:00)
Make time for the people you love because this is how relationships get strengthened.
It prevents rivalries between siblings because you get to spend time with each one of your kids. Also, your spouse will be happy about enjoying more dates and romantic moments together.
- Schedule everything, including your personal life (20:15-21:00)
Everything should go into our calendar—our self-love time and family time. Otherwise, it’s easy to find excuses and say we’re too busy at the moment. We have to prioritize your family.
Be intentional about the time spent with your family. Don’t just be there physically. Be involved. There are three rules when it comes to spending time with your kids: no electronics, let them pick the activity, and put aside some time for reflection and focus. At the end of the day, you don’t have to spend money on expensive vacations to be with your family. Just be involved and caring in your interactions.
Jim Sheils is a speaker, author, consultant, and the founder of Crazy Glue. His belief is that nothing is more important than the relationships we build during our lifetimes. And our success as entrepreneurs can keep us away from the people we cherish the most.
He talks about this in his book The Family Board Meeting: Is Business Success Hurting Your Family? Jim also helps busy entrepreneurs via one-one coaching and team consulting. You can find more about it here.
- Strengthen your marriage — How can you juggle all the activities of a family and still find time for deep connection, love and intimacy?
- Master your emotions — How can you keep your cool, minimize anger and lead with confidence?
- Find balance — How can you succeed in business and at home?
- Attain optimal health — Raising kids takes massive energy, so what are the strategies for creating peak physical, emotional and spiritual health?
- Communicate effectively — How do you know when to listen and when to speak up and lead?
If you’re ready to level up your dad game, let’s get right to it: https://frontrowdads.com/start-here/
We love hearing from you!
If you’ve got a question about today’s episode or want to leave us some inbox love, you can email us at email@example.com. Or, you can always find Dana hanging out in her happy place, the Boss Mom Facebook Community.
We would also LOVE it if you’d leave a podcast rating or review for us on iTunes! We know it can be kind of tricky to figure out, so here are a few step-by-step instructions on how to leave an iTunes rating or review for a podcast from your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Apple’s Podcast app.
- Tap the Search tab.
- Enter the name of the podcast you want to rate or review.
- Tap the blue Search key at the bottom right.
- Tap the album art for the podcast.
- Tap the Reviews tab.
- Tap Write a Review at the bottom.
- Enter your iTunes password to login.
- Tap the Stars to leave a rating.
- Enter title text and content to leave a review.
- Tap Send.